Apple has announced an updated version of 2018’s Mac Mini desktop at its “One More Thing” event last night. The new Mac Mini is the second Apple device announced this year with Apple’s in-house Arm-based M1 chipset after Macbook Air. The new Mac Mini gets a $100 price reduction from the previous generation and will have a $699 starting price.
New Apple Mac Mini – The New-Gen of Ultra-Small Desktops
Apple claims with the help of the M1 chipset the new Mac mini is now up to 60% more energy-efficient. And has a “3 times faster 8-core CPU” and “6 times faster 8-core GPU.” Apple also claims the machine can support up to 2 external displays as well as a 6K display, with DisplayPort options including Thunderbolt, USB 4, USB-A, Ethernet, and HDMI 2.0. This new version has a fan which helps to sustain its breakthrough performance while staying cool and quiet.
New Mac Mini has 2 models just like the Macbook Air, one with the 8GB RAM and 256GB storage priced at $699 (Rs. 64,900 in India) and the second with 8GB of RAM and 512GB storage priced at $899 (Rs. 84,900 in India.) Both models can be configured up to 16GB of RAM and up to 2TB of solid-state storage. Silver is the only color option available. You can order it now on the Apple store.
The new M1 powered Mac mini, can perform faster multiple tasks than its predecessor claims Apple. For Example –
- It can Compile code in Xcode up to 3x faster
- You can play “Shadow of the Tomb Raider” with up to 4x higher frame rates
- Rendering a complex timeline in Final Cut Pro up to 6x faster
- Up to 3x as many real-time plugins in Logic Pro
- Increased resolution of a photo in Pixelmator Pro up to 15x faster
- Utilize ML frameworks like TensorFlow or Create ML, now accelerated by the M1 chip.
With M1 chipset and Big Sur, the new Mac mini brings a massive shift in what an Ultra-Small desktop can do.