At its 2020 Investor Day event, Disney made a lot of announcements hinting that Disney Plus is about to get a lot more crowded. The company revealed updates on new Marvel, Star Wars, and Disney Animation studios projects, along with some updates about Disney Plus and its other streaming services.
Now if you’re having trouble in keeping track of all this, fear not we’ve got you covered. Here’s everything you need to know from Disney’s 2020 Investor Day event so far:
UPCOMING DISNEY PLUS SERIES
- WandaVision (which will be the first Marvel Studios TV show to come out on Disney Plus) got a new trailer ahead of its January 15th release date.
- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (which was supposed to be Marvel Studios’ first big Disney Plus original series, but got delayed due to an ongoing pandemic) finally got a full trailer, along with a March release date. The show will have six episodes in total.
- A first look at Disney’s highly anticipated short series based on Tom Hiddleston’s “God of mischief” character Loki. The show which is described as a “crime thriller,” and will see Loki facing off against the TVA (Time Variance Authority) also got a May 2021 release date for Disney Plus.
- Hawkeye TV Series is premiering on Disney Plus in “Fall 2021.” TV series which features Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton and Hailee Steinfeld as Kate Bishop will take its inspiration from Matt Fraction’s acclaimed Hawkeye comics run that was published back in 2012-2015.
- What If…?, an animated series from Marvel Studios also got a new trailer and will release in Summer 2021.
- Kevin Feige also announced 3 new series coming to Disney Plus: Ironheart, starring Dominque Thorne as armored heroine Riri Williams (“the creator of the most advanced suit of armor since Iron Man”); Armor Wars, starring Don Cheadle’s Colonel James “Rhodey” Rhodes aka War Machine and will examine one of “Tony Stark’s biggest fears” i.e. falling of Stark armor tech into the wrong hands; and last but not least Secret Invasion, starring Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury and Ben Mendelsohn’s Skull shapeshifter Talos (previously rumored to be a solo Nick Fury TV series). Unfortunately, no release dates have given for these new projects.
- Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige has also given some casting updates, confirming that Tatiana Maslany will play the lead role in She-Hulk, with Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner and Tim Roth as The Abomination.
- Marvel Studios is also working on a new Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special, set to debut in 2022. Which will be written and directed by James Gunn, who is also directing the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. “I Am Groot”, a series of short films starring Groot will also be there.
- Feige finally addressed the biggest question surrounding Black Panther 2, that film will not recast the late Chadwick Boseman’s King T’Challa. Black Panther 2 is set to be directed by Ryan Coogler and will release on July 8, 2022.
- Ant-Man 3 is officially called Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. The previous cast is returning to their respective role along with director Peyton Reed. The film will also introduce Jonathan Majors as Kang the Conqueror, one of MCU’s biggest villains.
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness will connect with the event of both the upcoming Wandavision TV series and the Sony and Marvel’s Spider-Man 3 movie.
- Ms. Marvel star Iman Vellani’s Kamala Khan and Monica Rambeau will appear in the Captain Marvel sequel.
- Christian Bale will join the cast of Thor: Love and Thunder as the villain Gorr the God Butcher.
- Now finally, Marvel is developing a new Fantastic Four movie. And Jon Watts will be directing it, Feige announced.
Disney has announced that roughly 10 Star Wars series are coming to Disney Plus. And that the final film to feature Harrison Ford’s iconic adventurer i.e. Indiana Jones 5 is now in pre-production and will be released in July 2022.
STAR WARS SERIES ON DISNEY PLUS
- Disney Plus series The Mandalorian will have two spinoffs i.e Star Wars: Ahsoka and Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic. These three shows will also have a crossover in the future, too.
- Disney dropped a teaser trailer for the animated series Star Wars: The Bad Batch (an animated series about the Bad Batch of clones from The Clone Wars), which will debut exclusively on Disney Plus.
- Rogue One prequel, Star Wars: Andor starring Diego Luna is coming to Disney Plus in 2022.
- The Acolyte, a new Star Wars female-driven series set in the High Republic era, helmed by Russian Doll creator Leslye Headland, is coming to Disney Plus.
- Hayden Christensen is returning in Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi as Darth Vader.
- A new project “Droid Story”, will feature a new hero alongside R2-D2 and C-3PO.
STAR WARS MOVIES
- The next Star Wars movie, Rogue Squadron, directed by Wonder Woman 1984’s Patty Jenkins will and feature a new generation of heroic pilots due to out in December 2023.
To read more about the new Star War projects you can visit a blog on Disney’s Star Wars website by clicking here.
3. DISNEY ANIMATION AND PIXAR
- Raya and the Last Dragon is set to premiere on March 5th, 2021 on Disney Plus via Premier Access and in theaters.
- A series based on Big Hero 6’s Baymax!, is arriving in early 2022.
- Zootopia Plus (based on Zootopia) will be hitting the Disney Plus in spring 2022.
- Tiana (based on The Princess and The Frog) and a long-form musical comedy series for Moana, will be hitting Disney Plus in 2023.
UPCOMING PIXAR SERIES FOR DISNEY PLUS
- Pixar Popcorn, which will feature some shorts from iconic Pixar characters, will start streaming in January.
- Dug Days, a series based on beloved dog Dug from “Up”, will premier in fall 2021.
- A Cars series, featuring Lightning McQueen and Mater, is coming to streaming service in fall 2022.
- Win or Lose, which is Pixar’s first original longform animated series, is coming to Disney Plus in the fall of 2023.
UPCOMING PIXAR MOVIES
- A movie set in Italy about a boy named “Luca”, will hit theaters in June 2021.
- Lightyear, a prequel of Pixar’s Toy Story about the origin of Buzz Lightyear. Directed by Finding Dory co-director Angus MacLane, starring Chris Evans as the voice of Buzz is set to hit theaters in summer 2022.
- Turning Red, a movie about a 13-year old girl which transforms into a giant red panda when she gets excited, is in development.
4. OTHER SERIES IN THE WORKS
FARGO’S NOAH HAWLEY IS MAKING AN ALIEN TV SERIES FOR HULU AND FX
Noah Hawley will be making a new series based on the Alien movies which are described as “timeless horror of the first Alien film with the non-stop action of the second, it’s going to be a scary thrill ride that will blow people back in their seats.”
ICE AGE IS GETTING A SPIN-OFF SERIES
Disney is making a new spinoff movie that will feature the weasel character “Buck” from the Ice Age movie series. The movie is titled “Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild”, and will star Simon Pegg as the voice of Buck premiering in early 2022.
Along with these announcements Disney has also stated that Disney Plus will get its first price hike in March next year. And the per-month price will rise to $7.99 per month. The company will also offer Disney Plus, ESPN Plus, and ad-free Hulu in one bundle for $18.99 per month starting sometime in January.
Now along with passing the 86 million subscribers mark, just over a year after the service launched. Disney Plus is all set to get a whole lot of new content over the next few years, including 10 Marvel and Star Wars series each, 15 Disney live-action, and some Disney Animation and Pixar series.